To stay at the top of your game as a modern trainer, you need the most up-to-date industry knowledge — but vetting good training resources can be a full-time job in itself. That’s why we’ve pulled together a comprehensive list of industry-shaping thought leaders, can’t-miss conferences and must-read publications.
From associations and online training courses to podcasts and apps, we’ve collected the top resources for educating training professionals below. You’re sure to find something to help you do your job even better.
And if you know of other helpful training resources we should include, please let us know in the comments or be in touch with me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Keep checking back, because we’ll be updating the list.
- Association for Talent Development (ATD): The world’s largest training development association, with local chapters, conferences and research.
- The eLearning Guild: A community for elearning professionals.
- Learning & Performance Institute: UK-based organization dedicated to professional development of learning professionals.
- American Management Association: Management training seminars, courses and programs for individuals and companies alike.
- ISA - The Association of Learning Providers: The network for training industry thought leaders.
- Human Capital Institute: A global organization for talent management, with an emphasis on HR, acquisition and L&D.
- The International E-Learning Association: An international organization dedicated to advancing learning technology in academia and the workplace.
- Academy of Human Resource Development: Global organization focused on research.
- ATD International Conference & Expo: ATD’s main conference, featuring speakers, professional development and the chance to explore new technologies.
- Core4 Conference: An ATD conference focusing on the foundational aspects of learning and talent development: instructional design, training delivery, measurement, evaluation and learning technologies.
- Training Conference & Expo: Hosted by Training magazine for over 40 years, covering all aspects of online and instructor-led training.
- Online Learning Conference: Also by Training magazine, with an emphasis on online learning.
- Learning and Leadership Development Conference: Annual conference put on by the Human Capital Institute.
- ICELW, The International Conference on E-Learning in the Workplace: Put on by the International E-Learning Association.
- AHRD International Research Conference in the Americas: Academic conference put on by the Academy of Human Resource Development.
Related reading: How to Create an Online Course in 6 Easy Steps
- Learning Solutions Magazine: A publication of The eLearning Guild since 2002.
- TD Magazine: Monthly magazine put out by ATD — available to members or by subscription.
- Training Industry Magazine: An online publication providing information and insight to training industry professionals.
- Training Journal: An online publication featuring insight from industry experts.
- Training: Bi-monthly magazine and weekly newsletter, providing professional development writing for over 50 years.
- IELA Journals: A trio of academic journals put out by the International E-Learning Association on corporate learning, advancing technology and interactive mobile.
- CLO: A multimedia magazine aimed at learning executives.
- Learning Environments by Design, by Catherine Lombardozzi: An exploration of today’s workplace learning.
- Michael Allen’s Guide to eLearning, by Michael Allen: A 2016 update of the 2003 original guide.
- Design For How People Learn (Voices That Matter), by Julie Dirksen: The science of designing a great learning experience.
- 157 Tips on Improving eLearning Design, by Kat Gore (ebook): Published by The eLearning Guild.
- Neuroscience for Learning and Development: How to Apply Neuroscience and Psychology for Improved Learning and Training, by Stella Collins: Explores the science behind training delivery and learner motivation.
Blogs and forums
- Training Zone: UK-based publication covering trends, opinions, and news round-ups.
- The Rapid E-Learning Blog: Practical, real-world tips for elearning success.
- Mimeo Blog: Insight for thought leaders, L&D professionals, and marketers.
- Shannon Tipton at Learning Rebels: Offers an engaging blend of personal experience and industry expertise.
- Connie Malamed at eLearning Coach: Great information for trainers and designers alike.
- TJ Forum: An active forum run by Training Journal.
- TWIST: The official blog of The eLearning Guild.
- Learnpatch: Informative blog and insightful #chat2lrn Twitter chat held weekly.
- eLearning Feeds: News and information curated from the top elearning blogs in the industry.
- Learning in the Modern Workplace: Jane Hart on modernizing workplace learning.
- Harold Jarche: Over a decade of insight related to learning in the workplace.
- E-Learning 24/7 Blog: Craig Weiss’ blog on the truth and realities of elearning.
- Cathy Moore: A blog to help you “design lively training for working adults.”
- L&D Forum: A place for positive industry interaction for learning professionals.
Related reading: A Repeatable Guide to Creating Effective Learning Content
Research and guides
- Talented Learning: Independent research and consulting firm devoted to helping organizations choose modern LMS solutions for their unique business needs – primarily for extended enterprise learning. Founded by analyst, John Leh.
- ATD Research: Trends, surveys and reports to help inform decisions and improve performance.
- ATD Buyer’s Guide: A comprehensive directory of learning and development providers.
- Your Guide to Purchasing an Employee Wellbeing Platform: From CLO Magazine.
- LPI Learning Survey: The largest annual survey of UK learning professionals.
- LPI Research Companion: A regular publication exploring the most current research.
- CEB Learning & Development Leadership Council: Focused research on learning, human resources, coaching and business.
- Bersin by Deloitte: Factbooks, frameworks, studies and more on the topics of human resources and learning and development.
Multimedia Training Resources
Online courses and webinars
- Training Live+Online: Online and in-person training and certification for corporate trainers, from Training magazine.
- LPI Certification: A collection of courses for learning professionals.
- TrainingIndustry.com: Regular free webinars on current topics, with past webinars archived for up to a year.
- CLO Magazine’s webinar library: A great resource of current and past webinars — including video and PowerPoint decks from past CLO Symposium+Plus events.
- Certified Professional in Training Management: Certification through Training Industry, with virtual and in-person training events.
- Scenario Design with Cathy Moore: In-depth and hands-on training offered regularly.
- Brandon Hall Group: A collection of webinars highlighting research and trends in the learning industry.
Podcasts and video
- The Pulse: Though aimed at higher ed, Rod Murray’s monthly technology podcast from Inside Higher Ed offers a look at the latest in elearning technology.
- Learning Now TV: Live-streamed internet TV, with over 200 episodes available online.
- Nine-to-Thrive HR: Interviews with industry experts on trends and the future of talent development, from the Human Capital Institute.
- CIPD Podcast: Expert interviews and commentary from UK organization Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.
- Dear Instructional Designer: Thoughts and interviews by Kristin Anthony about the instructional design journey.
- The eLearning Coach: A design-centered podcast for learning professionals from Connie Malamed.
- The eLearning Guys: Tools, tips and hacks for the learning process from hosts David Charney and Nejc Žorga Dulmin.
- Trends & Issues: Hosts Abbie Brown and Tim Green discuss what’s happening in instructional design, educational technology and learning sciences.
- Trainer’s Toolkit App: More than 50 classroom and virtual training exercises from top experts.
- Learning.ly for Business: On-the-go business learning from subject matter experts vetted by The Economist Group.
- SkillPill: A library of more than 1000 bite-sized multimedia learning objects.
- Udemy for Business: On-the-go business learning from Udemy.
- LinkedIn Learning: Professional development courses taught by industry experts.
Related reading: You Got This: Easy Video Creation Tools for Online Courses